Preventive Care in North York, ON
Preventing problems before they start is one of the most important aspects of dentistry. While Dr. Sara Shiewitz Dentistry provides comprehensive restorative treatments, including fillings and root canals, at our North York dental office, we would rather prevent the need for these procedures in the first place.
Regular cleanings and checkups are the first line of defense in the battle against tooth decay and gum disease. These appointments allow Dr. Shiewitz and our team to:
- Provide professional teeth cleaning services which include scaling and prophylaxis to remove calculus/tartar, stains and bacterial plaque from your teeth. Harmful bacteria in plaque causes tooth decay. Calculus cannot be removed at home. It can only be removed by a dentist or dental hygienist by dental scaling. If the calculus remains on the teeth for long periods (for example if you miss your dental cleanings), it can lead to periodontal disease, during which the bone supporting the teeth is lost. Uncontrolled periodontal disease leads to tooth loss.
- Find small cavities and treat them before they develop into large cavities that require more extensive treatments. Cavities can grow quickly, so regular examinations are important.
- Apply topical fluoride treatment for cavity prevention when needed.
- Check for diseases such as oral cancer and leukemia. Lymph nodes in the neck are also examined for swelling and other irregularities as they can be a sign of dental infection, or other illnesses and diseases.
- Monitor your oral hygiene techniques and make sure they’re all up to par!
- Brush your teeth twice per day for two to three minutes with a rechargeable electric toothbrush.
- Floss your teeth once or twice per day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Maintain a diet low in refined carbohydrates (sugars).
- Avoid regular consumption of acidic or sweet foods and drinks.